2 - The Cow
In the Name of ALLAH, the Merciful, the Compassionate.
Alif Lâm Mîm
the book for the godfearing
This is the book 2 then in which there is no doubt, a guidance to the godfearing.
2. Those who believe in the unseen, perform the prayer, and expend of what
have given them.
3. Those who believe in what has been sent down to you
and what has been sent down before you, and they are sure of the hereafter.3
4. Those alone are guided by their Lord 4, those alone are the ones who
5. Surely the unbelievers, -it being alike to them whether it is you who warns them or
not- will not
6. ALLAH has set a seal upon their hearts and upon their hearing,
and their eyes are covered, and a mighty chastisement awaits them.
7. And there are some who say : 'We believe in ALLAH and the last day.' Yet,
they are not believers.
8. They try to trick ALLAH and those who believe, but they deceive only themselves,
and they are not aware of it.
9. In their hearts is a sickness, and ALLAH has increased this sickness. A
painful chastisement awaits them, because they lied.
10. When it is said to them : 'Do no corruption in the land.',
they say : 'On the contrary, we put things right.'
11. Truly, they are the workers of corruption, but they do not percieve this.
12. When it is said to them : 'Believe as all those other people believe.',
they say :
'Shall we believe, as fools believe ?' Now surely, they are the fools. But they do
not know it.
13. When they meet those who believe, they say : 'We believe !' But when they are alone, together with their
demons, they say :
'We are with you, we were only mocking !'
14. ALLAH shall mock them, and shall let them persist a long time in their
wandering here & there.
15. They are the ones that have bought error at the price of guidance, and
commerce has not profited them, and they are not rightly guided.
16. They are like those who kindled a fire ; when it lit everything around
took away its light, leaving them in darkness.
17. Unseeing, deaf, dumb, blind ; they shall not return.
18. They are like those who, when a cloud out of heaven -in which there is
thunder, and lightning- bursts, put their fingers in their ears against the
fearful of death. ALLAH encompasses the unbelievers.
19. The lightning nearly snatches away their sight. When it gives them
light, they walk
in it, and when the darkness is over them, they halt. Had ALLAH willed, He
their hearing and their sight. Truly, ALLAH is powerful over everything.
ALLAH has no associates
serve your Lord Who created you,
you and those that were before you. Fear Me ! It is ALLAH who gave you the earth for a couch, and heaven for an
sent down water out of heaven, with which He brought forth fruits for your
So do not give ALLAH any associates. You know this !
21. And if you are in doubt concerning what We have
sent down on Our servant, then bring a sûra like it, and call -if you are
witnesses, apart from ALLAH.
22. And if you do not do so -and surely you will not- then fear the fire
prepared for the
unbelievers, whose fuel is people and stones.
23. Give good tidings to those who believe and do deeds of righteousness. That
they have gardens underneath which rivers flow. Each time they are given fruits
of this garden, they shall say : 'These are the fruits with which we were provided of
before.' What is given has only a perfect semblance. There shall be purified spouses for
them. And they shall dwell there forever.
24. ALLAH is not ashamed to strike a similitude, even of a gnat, or anything
larger. The believers know it is the truth
from their Lord. But the unbelievers say : 'What did ALLAH desire to tell us
similitude ?' With these similitudes He leads many astray, and He guides
many. No ! Thereby He leads only the ungodly astray.
25. The ungodly, who break the covenant of ALLAH after its solemn binding,
what ALLAH has commanded to be joined, and who do corruption in the land :
shall be the losers !
26. How can you disbelieve in ALLAH, you who were dead
and He gave you life ? Who will make you die and then will give you life again,
to Him you shall be returned !
27. It is He who created for you all that is on the earth, and when this work
finished, lifted Himself to heaven and levelled them with seven heavens. He
knowledge of everything !
the vast capacities given to humanity
28. And when Your Lord said to the angels : 'I am setting a viceroy in the earth.', they
said : 'What ? Will You set one who will do corruption, and shed blood while
proclaim Your praise and extoll Your holiness ?' He answered : 'I know what
you know not.'
29. And He taught Adam the names of all things, then, presented them to the
angels, He said : 'Now tell Me -if you speak truly- the names of these.'
30. They answered : 'Glory be to You ! We only know what You have taught us.
Surely You are the Knowing, the Wise.'
31. He said : 'Adam, tell them their names.' And when he had told them their
He said : 'Did I not tell you that I know
the unseen things of the heavens and the earth ? And I know the things you
what you hide.'
32. And when We said to the angels : 'Bow to Adam.', they bowed,
save Iblîs. He refused, and was proud, and so he became one of the unbelievers.
33. And We said : 'Adam, dwell in the garden with your wife, and eat
easefully of its
fruits wherever you desire ; but do not approach this tree, for then you will be
34. But the devil caused them to slip and brought them out of that garden. Then
said : 'Descent ! Each of you is an enemy of the other, and the earth
you as a house, and as a temporary possession.'
35. Adam received some words from his Lord, and He turned towards him.
truly He returns often to those who repent, the Compassionate.
36. We said : 'Get out of here all together ! To you there shall come
Me, and whosoever follows My guidance, no fear shall be on them, neither
37. But the unbelievers who treat Our signs as lies shall be the inhabitants of the eternal fire.'
advice to the children of Israel
38. O children of Israel ! Remember the blessing with which I blessed you, and
covenant and I shall fulfil your covenant ; and have awe of Me ; and believe
which I have sent down, confirming that which is with you, and be not the
disbelieve in it. And do not buy with My signs a thing of no value. Fear Me !
39. And do not dress the truth with the robe of lies, and do not conceal the
you know it.
40. And perform the prayer, pay the alms, and bow with those who bow.
41. Will you bid others to piety, and forget yourselves ? Yet, you recite the
Will you never understand ?
42. Seek help in patience and prayer, for hard it is, save to the humble.
43. Those who reckon that they shall meet their Lord and that to Him they shall return.
Divine favours on Israel
44. O children of Israel, remember My blessing with which I blessed you, and
that I have preferred you above all humans.
45. Beware of the day when no soul shall give satisfaction to
another soul, and when no intercession shall be accepted from it, nor any
compensation be taken, neither help.
46. Remember that We delivered you from the folk of Pharaoh
who were visiting you with an evil chastisement, slaughtering your sons, and
women. That was a grievous trial from your Lord.
47. Remember that We divided the sea for you and delivered you, and drowned
Pharaoh under your eyes.
48. And when We fashioned Our alliance with Moses during forty nights, then
to yourselves the calf to adore and you were evildoers.
49. After that, We pardoned you, so that you might give Us thanks.
50. And when We gave to Moses the book and the distinction, so that you might
51. Moses said to his people : 'My people, you have done wrong to yourselves
by adoring the calf. Turn to your Creator and slay your people. That is best for
you with your Creator. He
will pardon you,
for He truly turns to him who returns. He is Compassionate.'
52. You said : 'Moses, we will not believe you untill we see ALLAH openly.', and
for this, the
thunderbolt takes you while you are beholding.
53. We have raised you up after you were dead, so that you may be thankful.
54. We outspread a cloud to overshadow you, and We sent manna and quails
upon you, saying : 'Eat of the good things with which We have given you.' You
worked wrong upon your own souls, not upon Us.
55. We said to the people of Israel : 'Enter this town and eat easefully
goods that are there ; but when entering the gate, prostrate and say :
and We will forgive you
your transgressions. Surely We increase the good-doers.
56. But the evildoers among them substituted to what had been said to
another saying and so We sent down upon them wrath out of heaven for their
the stubbornness of some Israelites
57. Moses sought water for his people, and so We said : 'Strike with your staff the
rock.' and from it gushed forth twelve fountains and now all the people knew
drinking-place. We said to them : 'Eat and drink of ALLAH's providing, and do
corrupt the earth.'
58. And when you said : 'O Moses ! We can not endure one kind of food any
pray to your Lord that He may bring forth for us the products of the earth :
herbs, cucumbers, corn, lentils and onions.' Moses said : 'Would you exchange
what is better for what is
meaner ? So go to Egypt and you shall find there what you demanded.' And abasement and poverty were pitched upon them, and they
laden with the burden of ALLAH's anger because they had disbelieved the signs
ALLAH and had unrightfully slain their prophets. And that was the retribution
they revolted, and were transgressors.
the cunning of some Israelites
59. Those who have believed, those who follow the Jewish religion, the
the Sabaeans, and anyone who will have believed in ALLAH and the last day and
have done works of righteousness, all of them receive their wage from their
no fear shall be on them, neither shall they sorrow.
60. And when We accepted your alliance, and raised mount Sinaï above
said : 'Take firmly hold of the laws We have given you, and remember what is in
Perhaps you will fear ALLAH.'
61. But thereafter you turned away from them. Were it not for the bounty and
mercy of ALLAH towards you, you had perished. And you know well those among
who transgressed the Sabbath. We said to them : 'Be apes, miserably slinking !'
62. And We gave them a punishment exemplary to their contemporaries and their
descendants and as an admonition to those who are godfearing.
63. One day Moses said to his people : 'ALLAH commands you to sacrifice a
They said : 'Are you mocking us ?' He answered : 'May ALLAH preserve me to be
of the ignorant.'
They said : 'Pray to your Lord, so that He may make clear to us what she may
said : 'He says she is a cow neither old, nor virgin, middling between the
two ; so do
that which is bidden.'
64. They said : 'Pray to your Lord, so that He make clear to us what her colour
He said : 'He says she shall be a golden cow, bright of colour and giving
delight to the
65. They said : 'Pray to your Lord,
so that He make clear to us
what she may be, for cows are all alike to us ; and, if ALLAH will, we shall
then be guided.'
66. Moses said : 'ALLAH says she shall be a cow not broken
to plough the earth or to water the tillage, one kept secure, with no blemish
They answered : 'Now you have said us the truth.' They sacrificed her, and
was needed for them not to do so.
the hard-heartedness of some Israelites
67. Remember the murder of one among you, object of your disputes. ALLAH
disclosed what you were hiding.
68. We said : 'Smite him with a part of it.' 6 In this way, ALLAH brings to
dead, and makes His signs shine before your eyes. Perhaps you will end up
69. Thereafter your hearts became hardened like stones, or yet even harder,
for there are stones from which rivers come gushing, others split and water
and others crash down in the fear of ALLAH. ALLAH is not heedless of the
70. Are you so eager then that they would believe in you, seeing there is a party of them that heard ALLAH's word, and then wittingly
with it, all that after they had comprehended it ?
71. And when they meet those who believe, they say :
'We believe.' And when they are among themselves, they say : 'Do you talk to them
about what ALLAH has revealed to you, so that they may thereby contend
with you before your Lord ?
Have you no understanding ?'
72. Do they not know that ALLAH knows what they keep secret and with
they go public ?
73. Among them, the common folk do not know the book, but only fancies and
conjectures. They have no firm belief.
So woe to those who write the book with their hands, and then say : 'This is
ALLAH.', so that they may sell it for a little price. So woe to them for what
have written, and woe to them for their earnings !
74. They say : 'If the fire touches us, it will only be for a few days.' Say
to them :
'Have you taken a convenant with ALLAH ? ALLAH will not fail in His covenant,
you say these things because you are ignorant ?'
75. Yes indeed ! Those who earn evil, and are encompassed by their transgression,
are the inhabitants of the fire, were they shall dwell forever.
76. And those who believe, and do deeds of righteousness, they
inhabitants of the garden, were they shall dwell forever.
most Israelites turn away from the convenant
77. When We received the alliance with the children of Israel, We said to
'Serve only ALLAH, be good to your parents, to the near kinsman, to orphans,
the needy. Speak good to men, and perform the prayer, and pay the alms. Then
turned away, all but a few of you, swerving aside.'
78. When We stipulated with you that You should not shed your own blood,
expel your own from your habitations, you confirmed this and bore witness
79. And yet you are killing one another, expelling a party of you from their
conspiring against them in sin and enmity and if they become your captives,
ransom them, yet their expulsion was forbidden. What ? Do you believe a
your book, and disbelieve another part ? What shall be the recompense of
you who do that ? Degradation in the present life, and on the day of
turned to the most terrible chastisement ! Surely ALLAH is not heedless of
80. The chastisement shall not be lightened for those who purchase the
present life at
the price of the world to come, neither shall they be helped.
Israelites slaying their prophets and worshipping the calf
81. And We gave to Moses the book of the law, and after him
sent succeeding messengers. We gave Jesus, the son of Mary the clear signs of
mission, and confirmed him with the spirit of holiness.7 And whenever there
you a messenger with a doctrine which your souls had no desire for, did you not resist
arrogantly ? Some you called liars and some you slay.
82. And they said : 'Our hearts are covered 8.' ALLAH has cursed them for
their unbelief, so little do they believe !
83. When there came to them a book from ALLAH, confirming what they have -they
used to pray for help against the unbelievers-, but when then that
foretold book came to them, they disbelieved in it ! May the curse of
upon the unbelievers.
84. Evil is that for which they have sold themselves, disbelieving in what
ALLAH sent down, out of envy that ALLAH should send down of His bounty on the
servants of His choice. They were laden with anger upon anger. A humbling
chastisement awaits the unbelievers.
85. And when they were told : 'Believe in what ALLAH has sent down.' they
'We believe in the scriptures that were sent down on us.' and they disbelieve
in what is
beyond that, yet that book confirms what is with them. Say to them : 'Why -if
were believers- were you slaying the prophets of ALLAH ?'
86. Moses came to you with clear arguments and then you took to yourselves the
adore. Were you not evildoers ?
87. When We made an alliance with you, and raised over you mount Sinaï, We
you hear : 'Take firmly hold what We have given you to preserve and give ear.'
answered : 'We heared but obey not.' ; and their hearts were still drinking
the cult of
the calf. Say : 'Evil is the thing your faith bids you to, if you have any
88. Say to them : 'If the last abode with ALLAH is yours
exclusively, and not for other people, then long for death, that is, if you
speak truly !'
89. But no, they will never long for it, because of that which their hands
and ALLAH knows the unjust.
90. You shall find them the eagerest of people for life, just like the idolaters.
One of them wishes to be spared for a thousand years, yet his being
granted a long life
not remove him
from the chastisement. ALLAH sees the things they do.
their enmity towards the Lord, his angels & messengers
91. Say : 'Who declares to be an enemy to Gabriel ? It is he who, by the
ALLAH, brought down upon your heart the book destined to confirm the holy
that were before it to guide and announce good tidings to the believers.
92. He who will be the enemy of the Lord, of His angels, of His messengers,
Gabriel and Michael, will have ALLAH as his enemy, for ALLAH hates the
93. We have sent down upon you clear arguments, and none but the transgressors disbelieve
94. Whenever they have made a covenant, does not a party of them reject it ?
most of them are unbelievers.
95. When a messenger from ALLAH came to them, confirming the holy books that
were with them, a party of them that were given these scriptures threw the
ALLAH behind their backs, as though they knew it not.
96. They have followed what the demons imagined against Solomon's kingdom.
Solomon disbelieved not, but the demons did. They teach the people sorcery
science that was sent down upon Babylon's two angels, Harut and Marut. These
taught not anybody, without saying : 'We are but a temptation ; do not
From them the people learned how they might divide a man and his wife, yet
not hurt anybody thereby save by the leave of ALLAH. Yet they learned what
them, and not what could be profitable to them, knowing well that whoso buys
shall have no share in the world to come. Evil then it was what they sold
if they had but known ...
97. Yet had they believed, and had they been godfearing, then a recompense from
had been better to them, if they had but known.
the abrogation of verses and ALLAH's power
98. O believers ! Do not say : 'Listen to us !' and say : 'Regard us !' 9
Give ear. A painful chastisement awaits the unbelievers.
99. Those who possess the scriptures as well as the idolaters, wish that no good should be sent down upon you from your Lord ; but ALLAH singles out for
mercy whom He pleases, for ALLAH is of an abounding bounty.
100. And for whatever verse We abrogate or cast into oblivion, We bring a
or the like of it. Do you not know that ALLAH is powerful over everything ?
101. Do you not know that the kingdom of heaven and earth belongs to ALLAH,
that you have, apart from ALLAH,
neither protector nor helper ?
102. Or do you put questions to your messenger as Moses was questioned before ? Whoso exchanges belief for unbelief has surely strayed from the straight
103. Many of the people of the book wish they might restore you as
you have believed, in the jealousy of their souls, and after the truth has
to them. Yet, pardon them but avoid them till ALLAH commands
Truly He is powerful over everything.
104. And perform the prayer, and pay the alms ; whatever
good you shall forward to your the account of your souls, you shall find it with ALLAH ;
He sees the things you do.
105. They say : 'None shall enter the garden of paradise except Jews or Christians.' Such
fancies. Say to them : 'Produce your proof, if you speak truly.'
106. Indeed ! Whoever entirely submits to ALLAH, being a good-doer, his
wage is from his Lord, and no fear shall be on him, neither shall he sorrow.
ALLAH is the true guidance
107. The Jews say : 'The Christians stand on nothing.' The Christians say :
stand not nothing.' Yet, both recite their scriptures. Likewise say the
idolaters, who are
ignorant. Regarding their differences, ALLAH shall decide
between them on the day of resurrection.
108. And who does greater evil than he who bars the places of worship of
that His Name is not remembered in them, and who strives to destroy them ?
Such people should never enter them, save in fear ; for them is degradation in the present
and a mighty chastisement in the world to come.
109. To ALLAH belong the rising and the setting. And wherever you turn, there
is the face of ALLAH. He is Embracing, Knowing.
110. They say : 'ALLAH has taken to Himself a son.' This blasphemy is far from Him. Yes indeed
belongs whatever is in the heavens and on the earth and all obeys His will.
111. Unique 10 in the heavens and the earth, as soon as He decrees a thing, He
to it : 'Be !' and it is.
112. And those who do not know say : 'Why does ALLAH not speak to us ? Why
a sign not come to us ? Otherwise we will not believe.' So spoke their
words and hearts are much alike. Yet, We have made clear the signs to those
113. We have sent you with the truth, and charged you to bear good tidings
warn. You shall not be questioned
touching the inhabitants of hell.
114. Never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with you,
except if you follow their religion. Say to them : 'ALLAH's guidance is the
guidance.' If you follow their caprices, after the science has come to
shall find in ALLAH
neither protector nor helper.
115. Those to whom We have given the book and who recite it with true
they believe in it. Those who disbelieve in it shall be the losers.
the Abrahamic convenant
116. O children of Israel ! Remember My blessing with which I blessed you.
Remember that I have preferred you above all beings.
117. Beware of the day when no soul shall give satisfaction to another soul,
when no compensation shall be accepted from it, nor any intercession shall be
profitable to it, neither should help be expected.
118. When ALLAH tested Abraham with certain words, and he fulfilled them, He
'Behold, I make you a leader for the people.' 'And of my seed ?' asked
covenant,' said He, 'shall not reach the evildoers.'
119. We appointed the house to be a place of visitation for the people, and a sanctuary, and We said : 'Take to yourselves Abraham's station
to be a place of
We made a covenant
with Abraham and Ishmael, saying to them : 'Purify My house for those that
about it, those that cleave to it and those who bow and prostrate
120. Then Abraham said to ALLAH : 'My Lord, make this a secure land, and
with the food of Your fruits those of them who believe in ALLAH and the last day.' He
answered : 'I will provide those who disbelieve too, but they will only enjoy
it for a little
while, then I shall compel them to the chastisement of the fire. How evil a
121. When Abraham and Ishmael raised up the foundations of the house, they
'Our Lord, receive this from us, for You are the Hearing, the Knowing.
122. Make us, O Lord, submissive to You, and make our seed a nation
You, and teach us the holy rites, and
turn towards us, for You turn towards the penitent and You are Compassionate.
123. Send among them a messenger, who shall recite to them Your signs, and
them the book and the wisdom, and shall purify them. Surely You are the Mighty,
the religion of Abraham and the baptism of ALLAH
124. And who shrinks from the religion of Abraham, except the foolish-minded ? Indeed, We
made him pure 11 in the present world, and in the world to come
shall be among the righteous.
125. When ALLAH said to Abraham : 'Surrender to My will.',
he answered : 'I have surrendered to the Lord of the worlds.'
126. And Abraham charged his sons with this and Jacob likewise said to them :
sons, ALLAH has chosen for you a religion. See that you do not die without
127. No ! Were you witnesses when death came to Jacob and he said to his sons :
will you serve after me ?' They answered : 'We will serve your ALLAH and the
of your fathers Abraham, Ishmael and Isaac, the One ALLAH only, to Him we surrender.'
128. That generation has passed away and what they
have earned awaits them, and what you have earned awaits you and you shall not be
the things they did.
129. It they say to you : 'Be Jews or Christians and you shall be guided.'
Answer them :
'No ! We are rather of the creed of Abraham, a man of true faith who was no
130. Say : 'We believe in ALLAH and in that which has been sent down on us
down on Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac and Jacob, and on the tribes, and that which
given to Moses and Jesus and the prophets, from their Lord. We make no
between any of them, and to Him we surrender.'
131. And if they adopt the like of what you believe, then they are
but if they turn away, then they are clearly in schism with you. But ALLAH
for you. He is
the Hearing, the Knowing.
132. It is the baptism of ALLAH ! And who baptizes better than ALLAH ?
133. Say to them : 'Would you dispute with us concerning ALLAH, who is our
your Lord ? Our deeds belong to us, and to you belong your deeds. Him we
134. No ! Do you say that Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac and Jacob, and the tribes
Jews or Christians ?' Say to them : 'Have you then greater knowledge, or
And who does greater evil than he who conceals a testimony received from
And ALLAH is not heedless of the things you do.'
135. That generation has passed away and what they
have earned awaits them, and what you have earned awaits you and you shall not be
the things they did.
the Ka'ba is the direction
136. The fools among the people will ask : 'What has turned them from the
they were facing in their prayers before ?' Answer them : 'Only to ALLAH belong
East and the West. He guides who He pleases on the straight path.'
137. In this way, We made you into a balanced nation 12, so
that you may be witnesses to everybody and that the messenger might be
witness to you.
138. We appointed the preceding direction but to distinguish who followed the
messenger from him who turned on his heels. This change is a grave thing,
those whom ALLAH has guided. ALLAH would never leave your faith to waste, for
ALLAH is Gentle and Compassionate with the people.
139. We have seen you turning your face in all directions of heaven. Now We
surely turn you to a direction that shall satisfy you. Turn your face towards
wherever you are, turn your faces towards it. Those who have been given the
scriptures, know that it is the truth from their Lord and ALLAH is not
heedless of the
things they do.
140. Even if you should bring every sign to those who have been given the
yet they will not adopt your direction. You are not to follow theirs. Among
some do not follow the direction of the others. If, after the science which
has come to
you, you follow their caprices, then you will surely be among the evildoers.
141. Those who have been given the scriptures, recognize the apostle as they
own children, but a party of them conceal the truth they know about.
142. The truth comes from your Lord, so then be not among the doubters.
to turn towards the Ka'ba
143. All people have a direction to which they turn praying. You,
force yourselves to practice good works wherever you are.
ALLAH will bring you all together, for He is powerful over everything.
144. From whatever place you come forth, turn your face towards the holy mosque.
true precept from your Lord, and ALLAH is not heedless of the things you do.
145. From whatever place you come forth, turn your face towards the holy mosque.
wherever you may be, turn your faces
towards it, so that the people may have no argument against you. As for the
fear them not, but fear Me, so that I may perfect My blessing upon you, and so that
you may be guided on the straight path.
146. So We have sent among you a messenger from among you, to recite to you
signs and to purify you, and to teach you
the book and the wisdom, and to teach you that which you knew not.
147. So remember Me, and I will remember you. Be thankful to Me and be not
ungrateful towards Me.
seek help from heaven in patience and prayer
148. O believers ! Seek help from heaven in patience and prayer. Surely ALLAH
with the patient.
149. Do not say of those slain in ALLAH's way : 'They are dead.', rather they
living but you are not aware of it.
150. Surely We will try you with fear & hunger, diminution of goods,
lives & fruits. Yet,
give good tidings to the patient.
151. And those who, when they are visited by an affliction, say : 'Surely we
ALLAH and to Him we return.',
152. upon them rests blessings and mercy from their Lord, and they are the
153. Safá and Marwah 13 are among the waymarks of ALLAH. So whoever makes the
pilgrimage to Mecca, or the visitation to the house, there is no fault in
circumambulating them. Whoso does good spontaneously, will
a recompensation, for ALLAH is Grateful, Knowing.
154. That those who conceal the clear signs and the guidance
that We have sent down, and this after We have shown them
clearly in the book, be cursed by ALLAH and by all those who know how to
155. Towards those I shall turn who repent and make amends, and make the
known to the others, for I turn to the converted sinner, and I am Compassionate.
156. But upon them that die disbelieving shall rest the curse of ALLAH and
and of all people.
157. They will be covered by this forever. The chastisement shall not be
them, and ALLAH will not turn and look at them.
158. Your ALLAH is One ALLAH ; there is no ALLAH but He,
the Merciful, the Compassionate.
the signs of ALLAH
159. In the creation of the heavens and the earth, in the alternation of
night and day,
in the ship that cleaves the sea with profit for the people, in this water that ALLAH
therewith reviving the earth after it is dead, scattering there all kinds of
in the turning about of the winds, in the clouds compelled between heaven and
earth, surely in these are signs for a people who understand.
160. Yet, there are people who take to themselves companions next to ALLAH,
loving them as ALLAH is loved. But those who believe, love ALLAH above all.
the evildoers know, at the moment of chastisement, that there is
altogether no other
power than ALLAH, and that ALLAH is terrible in His chastisement.
161. When those that were followed are separated from their followers, then
see the chastisement, and their cords
will be cut asunder.
162. Those who followed will cry out : 'Ah ! If only we might return again to
separate us from them, as they have separated from us !' Even so ALLAH shall
them their works. O bitter regrets for them, but never shall they issue from
the fire !
eat of what is lawful
163. O you people ! Eat of what is lawful and good on the earth, and do not
steps of the devil, for he is your manifest foe.
164. He only commands you to do evil and indecencies. He teaches you to say
about ALLAH things you do not know.
165. And when it is said to them : 'Follow the law that ALLAH has sent down.'
answer : 'No ! We will follow the things we found our fathers doing.' What ?
they follow their fathers, who had no understanding of anything, and who were
166. The likeness of those who disbelieve is as the likeness of one who
shouts to one
who hears nothing, save a call and a cry. Deaf, dumb, blind, so they do not
167. O believers ! Eat of the good things with which We have provided you,
thanks to ALLAH, if Him you serve !
168. It is forbidden to eat what dies of itself, blood, the flesh of swine, and
any animal that
has been hallowed to another than ALLAH. Yet on him who is constrained by
circumstances, not rebelling nor transgressing, shall be no sin, for ALLAH is
169. Those who conceal any part of the book which ALLAH has sent down and sell
a little price shall eat the fire in their bellies. ALLAH shall not speak to
them on the day
of resurrection, neither absolve them. A painful chastisement awaits them.
170. Those that have bought error at the price of guidance, and
at the price of pardon, how patiently shall they endure the fire !
171. They will be condemned to it, because ALLAH has sent down the book with
truth. And those that are at variance with the book, are a in wide schism.
virtue, retaliation and bequests
172. Virtue is not that you turn your faces to the rising and the setting.
are those who believe in ALLAH, the last day, the angels, the book, and the
who -for the love of ALLAH- help kinsmen, orphans, the needy, the traveller,
who ransom the slave, perform the prayer, pay the alms, fulfil the covenant
engaged, and endure with fortitude misfortune, hardship and peril. Those are
173. O believers ! Touching the slain, retaliation is prescribed for you.
freeman, slave for slave, female for female. He who obtains the pardon of his
will have to pay a certain amount. Let the punishment be pronounced with
174. That is an alleviation granted to you by your Lord and a favour of His
mercy. But anyone who commits aggression
after that, awaits a painful chastisement.
175. There is life for you in retaliation, O people of understanding ! Perhaps you will
176. When any of you is visited by death, it is prescribed for you to make a
in favour of his parents and kinsmen in a generous way. This is an obligation
who fear ALLAH.
177. Then if anybody changes it after hearing it, the sin shall rest upon
ALLAH is Hearing, Knowing.
178. But if any man fears injustice or sin from the one making the testament,
makes things right for the inheritors, then
sin shall not rest upon him ;
surely ALLAH is Forgiving, Compassionate.
179. O believers ! The fast is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for
were before you. Guard against evil !
180. The fast will only last for a certain number of days. But if any of you is
sick or on a
journey, then fast afterwards an equal number of days. And those who are able
fast, but stop, will have -in order to be redeemed- to feed a poor man.
accomplishes a work of good spontaneoulsy will profit from it. Before anything
else, it is
better for you to observe the fast,
if you know the law.
181. The month of Ramadan, wherein the Koran 14
was sent down as a guidance to
the people, to give them a clear explanation of it and the distinction
between good and
evil, is the time destined to fast. So let those of you, who observe this
immediately start the fast. If any of you be sick, or if he be on a journey,
afterwards an equal number of days. ALLAH desires ease for you, not hardship.
only wants that you fulfil the number. Magnify ALLAH for guiding you. He
wants you to be thankful.
182. When My servants question you concerning Me, I will be near them. I will
the call of the caller, when he calls Me. So let them respond to Me, and let
believe in Me. So they will go on the straight path.
183. You are permitted, during the night of the fast, to go into your wives.
like a vestment to you, and you are
a vestment to them. ALLAH knows that you have transgressed in this respect,
and has turned to you and pardoned you. So now lie with them, and seek what ALLAH has
prescribed for you.
And eat and drink, until you -at dawn- can clearly distinguish the white
thread from the
black thread. Then, complete the fast till the night, and do not lie with
them. Instead, cleave to acts of devotion in the mosques. These are ALLAH's bounds. Keep
them. In this way ALLAH makes clear His signs to men, so that they will fear Him.
184. Consume not your goods between you in vanity ; neither bring them to the
judges, so that you may sinfully & knowingly consume a portion of other
to fight in the way of ALLAH
185. They will question you concerning the new moons. Say : 'They are the
times for the people, and the pilgrimage.' It is not piety to enter the
houses at their
backs. But piety is to fear ALLAH. So enter the houses through their doors,
ALLAH. You will be happy.
186. And fight in the way of ALLAH with those who fight with you, but aggress
attacking first, for
ALLAH does not love the aggressors.
187. Slay them wherever you find them, and expel them from where they
you. The temptation of idolatery is more grievous than the slayings of war.
But do not
fight them by the holy mosque, except if they should fight you there. Then,
if they fight
you there, slay them. Such is the recompense of unbelievers.
188. But if they give over,
surely ALLAH is Forgiving, Compassionate.
189. Fight them, till there is no fear for the temptation and the religion is
they give over, there shall be no hostility, except for evildoers.
190. The holy month for the holy month. Holy things demand retaliation. Whoso
commits aggression against you, do commit aggression against him like he
committed against you.
Fear ALLAH, and know that ALLAH is with those who fear
191. Expend in the way of ALLAH and do not cast yourselves by your own hands
destruction, but be good-doers, for ALLAH loves the good-doers.
192. Fulfil the pilgrimage and the visitation to honor ALLAH. But if you are
then offer as may be feasible. Do not shave your heads till the offering
place of sacrifice. If any of you is sick, or injured in his head, then
by fasting, alms, or ritual sacrifice. When you are secure, then he
who combines the visitation with the pilgrimage, let his
offering be such as may be feasible. If he does not have the means, then let him fast for
three days during
the pilgrimage, and seven days when he returns, that is ten days in all. This
is imposed on him whose family is not present at the holy mosque. Fear
know that ALLAH is terrible in retribution.
the pilgrimage and the hypocrites
193. The pilgrimage is in the well-known months. Whoso undertakes the duty of the
pilgrimage shall not go into his women nor indulge in foul speech and
Whatever good you do,
ALLAH knows it. And take provision, but the best provision is to fear ALLAH. Fear
Me, O people of understanding !
194. There is no fault in you, if you should seek bounty from your Lord by
commerce. But when you return from 'Arafât, 15 then remember ALLAH at the holy
waymark, and remember Him
as He has guided you on the straight path, though formerly you were gone
195. Then perform the processions in the places where the others do it, and
ALLAH's forgiveness, for ALLAH is Forgiving, Compassionate.
196. And when you have performed your holy rites, then remember ALLAH, as you
remember your fathers, yes, even with more devotion ! Now some people say : 'Our
Lord, give to us
in this world.' Such people shall have no part in the world to come.
197. And others say : 'Our Lord, give us good in this world, and good in the
come, and guard us against the
chastisement of the fire.'
198. They shall have the portion that they have earned. ALLAH is swift at the
199. And remember ALLAH during certain numbered days. If any man hastens the
departure with two days, there is no sin in him. And if any delays it, there
is no sin in
him either, if he fears ALLAH. So fear ALLAH, and know that one day you shall
assembled before Him.
200. Some please you by the way he speaks about the present world, and he calls
ALLAH to witness what is in his heart. Yet, he is the most stubborn of
201. For, when he turns his back, he hastens about the earth, to do
and to destroy the tillage and the stock. ALLAH does not love disorder.
202. And when it is said to him : 'Fear ALLAH !', then vainglory is added to
his sin. The fire shall be enough for him. What an evil place to rest !
203. But others sell themselves, desiring ALLAH's good pleasure. ALLAH is
with His servants.
204. O believers ! Enter the peace, all of you, 16 and do not follow the steps
of the devil.
He is your manifest foe.
205. But if you slip, after the clear signs came to you, know then that ALLAH
is Mighty, Wise.
206. What ? Do the infidels expect that ALLAH shall come to them in the
thick clouds, accompanied by His angels ? The matter has already been decided.
do not change ALLAH's blessings & the
207. Ask the children of Israel how many a clear sign We gave them ? ALLAH is
terrible in retribution to him who changes ALLAH's blessing after it has come
208. The present life is for the unbelievers and for those who mock the
who fear ALLAH shall be above them on the resurrection day. ALLAH gives means to
He pleases without reckoning His goodness.
209. Once the people were one nation. Then ALLAH sent forth
the prophets, to bear good tidings and to warn. And He sent them down with a
containing the truth, so that He might
decide between the people touching their differences. But, those who had been
it, were at variance with it, after the
clear signs had come to them, being insolent one to another. ALLAH guided by His
will those who
believed in the truth of that which they were at variance with ;
guides whom He pleases on the straight path.
210. Did you suppose to enter the garden without experiencing the evils
those that came before you ? They were afflicted by misery and hardship and
convulsed, that the messenger and those who believed with him cried out :
does ALLAH's help come ? Is the help of ALLAH not near ?'
211. They will question you as to what they should spend. Say to them :
good you give is for parents and kinsmen, orphans, the needy, and the
Whatever good you do, ALLAH has knowledge of it.'
212. Fighting is prescribed for you and you hate it.
213. Yet, it may happen that you will hate a thing which is better for you,
and love a
thing which is worse for you. ALLAH knows, and you do not.
214. They will question you concerning the holy month, and fighting in it.
Say to them :
'Fighting in it is a heinous thing,
but to turn away from ALLAH's way, to disbelief in Him and the holy mosque,
expel its people from it, that is more heinous in ALLAH's sight.' The
idolatery is more heinous than slaying. They will not cease to fight with
till they turn you away from your religion, if they are able. But whoever of you
turns back from
his religion, and dies disbelieving, their works have failed in this world
and the next.
They are the inhabitants of the fire wherein they shall dwell forever.
215. Those who emigrate and struggle in ALLAH's way may have hope of ALLAH's
compassion, for He is Forgiving, Compassionate.
216. They will question you concerning wine and games of chance. 17
Say to them : 'In both
is heinous sin and means of profit for the people, but their sin is more heinous than their
usefulness.' They will also question you concerning what they should spend.
217. Answer them : 'Give of what is over.' ALLAH makes clear His signs to
so that you may reflect
218. on this world and on the world to come. They will question you
orphans. Say to them : 'To set their affairs aright is good.'
219. And if you live with them, regard them as your brothers. ALLAH knows
to distinguish the wicked from the just. Had He willed, He would have harassed
for ALLAH is Mighty, Wise.
220. Do not marry idolatresses until they believe. A believing slavegirl is
better than an
idolatress, though you may admire her. And do not marry your daughters to
until they believe. A believing slave is better than an idolater, though
you may admire him.
221. The unbelievers call you to the fire and ALLAH calls you to the garden and
to pardon. Only by His leave does He make clear His signs to the
that they may remember.
222. They will question you concerning the monthly course.
Say : 'It is an inconvenience. So go apart from your spouses during the
course, and do not approach them untill they are clean. And when they have
themselves, then come to them as ALLAH has commanded you. Truly, ALLAH
loves those who repent, and He loves those who cleanse themselves.'
223. Your women are your tillage. Cultivate your tillage as you wish after
having done some good for yourselves. Fear ALLAH, and know that you shall meet Him.
good tidings to the believers.
224. Do not make ALLAH a hindrance for you through your oaths of justice,
fear of ALLAH. Surely ALLAH is Hearing, Knowing.
225. ALLAH will not punish you for a slip in your oaths ; but He will punish
you for what
your hearts have earned. ALLAH is Forgiving, Clement.
226. For those who swear that they will not go into their wives
there is a wait of four months and if
revert, ALLAH is Forgiving, Compassionate.
227. But if they resolve on a divorce, surely ALLAH is Hearing, Knowing.
228. Divorced women shall wait by themselves for three periods before to
they believe in ALLAH and the last day they should not hide what ALLAH has
in their wombs. In such times, their mates do better to restore them, if they
peace. Both husband and wife have honourable rights as well as obligations.
husbands have a degree above their wives. ALLAH is
229. Divorce may be twice. You retain your wife ? Treat her honourably. You set
her free ?
Do it generously. It is not lawful for you to take what you have given them,
fear that they cannot keep within ALLAH's bounds. Then if you
fear not to
maintain ALLAH's bounds, there is no fault on them for everything she gives up to
free herself thereby. Those are ALLAH's bounds ; do not transgress them.
transgresses the bounds of ALLAH is an evildoer.
230. If a husband finally divorces her, she shall not be lawful to him after
that, until she
marries another husband and the latter divorces her too. Then there is no
fault in them
to return to each other, if they suppose that they will maintain ALLAH's
are ALLAH's bounds made clear to a people who listen.
231. When you divorce a women, and the moment to set her free is reached,
retain them honourably or set them free honourably. Do not retain them by
transgress. Whoever does that has wronged himself. Take not ALLAH's signs in
mockery, and remember ALLAH's blessing upon you, and the book and the wisdom He has sent down
upon you, to admonish you.
Fear ALLAH, and know that ALLAH has
knowledge of everything.
232. When you divorce your women, and the moment to set them free is reached,
not debar them from marrying their husbands when both parties have agreed
honourably. That is an admonition for those of you who believe in ALLAH and the
day. That is cleaner and purer for you.
ALLAH knows, and you know not.
233. Divorced mothers shall suckle their children two years completely, if
desires to make complete the time of suckling. It is for the father to provide them and
honourably. No soul is charged save to its capacity. A mother shall not be
for her child, neither a father for his child. The heir has a like duty. But
if the couple
desire by mutual consent and consultation to wean before the term consented
voluntarily, then there is no fault in them. And if you desire to seek
nursing for your
children, it is no fault in you, provided that you hand over what you have promised.
ALLAH, and know that ALLAH sees the things you do.
234. If those who die leave wives, they shall wait by themselves for four
ten nights. When this term is expired, you are not responsible for what they
with themselves honourably.
ALLAH is aware of the things you do.
235. There is no fault in you to openly propose to these women, or to hide
its secret in
your hearts. ALLAH knows that you will be mindful of them, but do not make
to them secretly
and speak honourable words.
236. And do not resolve on the knot of marriage until the prescribed time has
its term, and know that ALLAH knows what is in your hearts, and know that
ALLAH is Forgiving, Clement.
additional provision for divorced women and widows
237. There is no fault in you, if you divorce a women you have not touched
appointed any marriage-portion for. Yet make the necessary provision for them
affluent man according to his means, and the needy man according to his means-
honourable way. This is an obligation for the good-doers.
238. And if you divorce them before you have touched them, and you have
appointed for them a marriage-portion, then she may keep one-half of what you
appointed, unless she relinquishes, or unless he in whose hand is the knot
marriage relinquishes. That you should remit is nearer
to piety. Do not forget to be generous one towards another.
Surely ALLAH sees the things you do.
239. Be watchful over the prayers, especially the best prayer. 19
obedient to ALLAH.
240. And if you are in fear, then you may pray afoot or mounted. When you are
secure, then remember ALLAH again, as He taught you the things that you knew
241. Those of you who die, leaving wives, let them make a testament for their
with a provision for a year without expulsion of the house. But if they go
themselves, then there is no fault in you regarding what they may do with
ALLAH is Mighty, Wise.
242. A honourable provision is due for divorced women. This is an obligation
who fear ALLAH.
243. In this way ALLAH makes clear His communications, so that you may
244. Have you not regarded those who went forth from their habitations in
thousands, fearful of death ? ALLAH said to them : 'Die !' Then He gave them
Truly ALLAH is bounteous
to the people, but most of the people are not thankful for all His good
245. So fight in ALLAH's way, and know that ALLAH is Hearing, Knowing.
246. Who is he that will lend ALLAH a good loan ? He will multiply it for him
for ALLAH limits or outspreads to whom He pleases, and all of you shall be
247. Remember the council of the children of Israel after Moses died, when
to a prophet of theirs : 'Raise up for us a king, and we will fight in
ALLAH's way.' He
answered : 'Might it be that, if fighting is prescribed for you, you will not
fight ?' They
said : 'Why should we not fight in ALLAH's way, we who have been expelled
habitations and separated from our children ?' Yet, when they were commanded
fight, they turned their backs except for a few of them. But ALLAH has
248. Then their prophet said to them : 'Verily ALLAH has raised up Saul for
king.' They said : 'How could he be king over us, we who have better right
than he to
kingship, seeing he has not been given abundance of wealth ?' Their prophet
'ALLAH has chosen him to command you, and has increased him
broadly in knowledge and body. ALLAH gives kingship to whom He pleases and
ALLAH is Embracing, Knowing.'
249. And their prophet said to them : 'The sign of his kingship is that the
heart 20 will come
to you, in it a sakînah 21 from your Lord, and a
residue of what the folk of
left behind, the angels bearing it. Surely there is a sign in this for you if you
ALLAH is bounteous to all the words
250. And when Saul left with his soldiers, he said to them : 'ALLAH will try
you with a
river. Whoso drinks of it is not of me,
and whoso tastes it not, he is of me (except him who scoops up with his
they drank of it, except a few of them. When the king and his believers
crossed it, the others cried : 'Today we have no power against Goliath and his soldiers.' But
who reckoned they should meet ALLAH, said then : 'How often a little company
overcome a numerous company, by ALLAH's leave !' ALLAH is with the patient.'
251. So, on the moment they were going against Goliath and his soldiers, they
'Our Lord, pour out patience upon us, and make our feet firm, and give us aid
the people of
the unbelievers !'
252. And they put them to flight by the leave of ALLAH. David slew Goliath and
gave him the kingship and the wisdom, and He taught him what he willed. If ALLAH did
contain the nations one by the other, it is sure that the earth had been
lost. But ALLAH
is bounteous to all the worlds.
253. These are the teachings of ALLAH We recite to you in truth because you
the number of the envoys.
254. We elevated the prophets one above the others. The most elevated in rank
those to whom ALLAH spoke. We gave to Jesus, son of Mary, the clear signs,
fortified him with the spirit of holiness. Had ALLAH willed, those who came
after the clear signs had come to them, would not have fought one against the
But they fell into variance, and some of them believed, and some disbelieved.
ALLAH willed, they would not have fought one against the other, but ALLAH does
whatsoever He intends.
the throne of ALLAH and no compulsion in religion
255. O believers ! Give of what We have given you,
comes a day wherein shall be neither bargaining, nor friendship, nor
unbelievers are the evildoers.
256. ALLAH is the only ALLAH. There is no other ALLAH than He, the Living,
Everlasting. Slumber seizes Him not, neither sleep. To Him belongs all that
is in the
heavens and on the earth.
Who is there that shall intercede with Him save by His leave ?
He knows what lies before them and what is after them,
and they comprehend nothing of His knowledge,
save such as He pleases. His Throne comprises the heavens and the earth and
preserving them does not oppress Him. He is the Most-High, the Great.
257. There is no compulsion in religion. Rectitude is distinguished from
error. So he
who disbelieves the idols and believes in ALLAH, has laid hold of the most
unbreaking handle. ALLAH is Hearing, Knowing.
258. ALLAH is the protector of the believers. He makes them go from darkness
259. As for the unbelievers, their protectors are idols. They will bring them
light into the darkness. They are the inhabitants of the fire, dwelling there
the power of ALLAH
260. Have you not heard about him who disputed with Abraham about his Lord,
because ALLAH had given him the kingship ?
When Abraham said : 'My Lord is He who gives life and causes to die', he answered : 'I
give life and cause death.' Abraham said : 'ALLAH causes the
sun to rise from
the east, so you make it rise from the west.' Then the unbeliever was confounded.
guides not the people of the evildoers.
261. Or have you not heard about that traveller who, when one day he passed
city that had fallen down upon its roofs, cried out : 'How shall ALLAH give
life to this
dead city ?' So ALLAH made him to die for a hundred years, then He raised him
and asked him : 'How long have you tarried ?' He answered : 'I tarried a day,
of a day.' 'No,' answered He : 'you have tarried a hundred years. Look at
and drink, it has not been spoiled. Now, look at your ass, only bones are
wanted to make of you a sign for the people. See how We shall set the bones
then clothe them with flesh.' So, when all of this was made clear to him, he
said : 'I
know that ALLAH is powerful over everything.'
262. When Abraham said to ALLAH : 'My Lord, show me how You will give life to
the dead.' He answered : 'Why, do you not believe ?' 'Yes,' he said, 'but do it
so that my
may be completely at rest.' Said He : 'Take four birds, and cut them into
then set a part of them on every hill, then summon them, and they will come
running, and know that ALLAH is Mighty, Wise.'
spending money in the
way of ALLAH
263. The likeness of those who spend their wealth in the way of ALLAH is as
likeness of a grain of corn that sprouts seven ears, in every ear a hundred
multiplies whom He pleases. ALLAH is Embracing, Knowing.
264. Those who spend their wealth in the way of ALLAH
and do not follow up what they have spent with reproach and injury, their
with their Lord, and no fear shall be on them, neither shall they sorrow.
265. Honourable words and forgiveness are better than charity followed by
injury. ALLAH is Sufficient, Clement.
266. O believers ! Void not your charity by reproach and injury,
as one who spends of his substance to show off to the people and does not believe in ALLAH and
last day. The likeness of him is as the likeness of a smooth rock on which is
a torrent smites it, and leaves it barren. They will have no fruits of what
earned, for ALLAH does not guide the people of the unbelievers.
267. But the likeness of those who spend their wealth seeking ALLAH's good
pleasure, and to confirm their souls, is as the likeness of a garden upon a
abundant torrent smites it and so it brings forth its fruit twofold. If no torrent
smites it, then light rain is sufficient. And ALLAH sees the things you do.
268. Would any of you wish to have a garden of palms and vines, with rivers
beneath it, and all species of fruit for him, then -when old age surprises
him, and he
has seed, but weaklings- a whirlwind with fire smites it, and it is consumed
In this way ALLAH makes clear the signs to you, so that you may reflect.
spending money in the
way of ALLAH
269. O believers ! Spend of the good things you have
of what We have produced for you from the earth. Do not spend the corrupt
270. For you would never take it yourselves, except if you closed an eye on it.
that ALLAH is Sufficient, Laudable.
271. The devil menaces you with poverty and bids you to indecent acts. ALLAH
you His pardon and His bounty, and surely ALLAH is Embracing, Knowing.
272. He gives wisdom to whom He pleases, and whoso is given wisdom has been
an immense good. Yet, nobody remembers, except those who possess minds.
273. The alms you give, the vow you make, surely ALLAH knows them.
evildoers have no helpers. Do you publish your alms ? It is
excellent. But if
you conceal them, and give them to the poor, it is better. This will acquit
you of your
evil deeds. ALLAH is aware of the things you do.
274. You are not responsible for guiding the unbelievers. It is ALLAH who
whom He pleases. And whatever good you spend, it is to your own good. Whatever you
are spending -being desirous only of ALLAH's face- shall be repaid to you in
full, and you
will not be wronged.
275. Alms are for the poor who are confined in the way of ALLAH. 22
They are unable to establish themselves in the land. The ignorant man
supposes that they are rich because of their abstinence, but you shall know them by their
mark : they
do not beg importunately. And whatever good you spend to them will
surely be known to ALLAH.
276. Those who give alms night and day, secretly
and in public, their wage awaits them from their Lord. No fear shall descend
neither shall they sorrow.
277. Those who devour usury shall rise again as those whom the devil has touched.
is because they say : 'Trading is only like usury.' ALLAH has permitted trading, and
He who receives this admonition from his Lord and stops this iniquity shall
past forgiven, and his affair is committed to ALLAH. But those who reverts to
usury are the inhabitants of the fire, therein dwelling forever.
278. ALLAH does not bless usury and makes charity to prosper. ALLAH loves not
279. Those who believe, do deeds of righteousness, perform the
pay the alms ;
their wage awaits them with their Lord, and no fear shall be on them, neither
280. O believers ! Fear ALLAH and give up the usury that is outstanding, if
you are believers.
281. But if you do not, then take notice that ALLAH and His messenger shall
war with you. Yet, if you repent, you shall have your principal capital.
and you will not be wronged.
282. If your debtor is in difficulties, let him have respite untill things are
easier for him.
But it is better for you if you cancel his debt, did you but know.
283. Fear the day when you shall be returned to ALLAH and every soul shall be
in full what it has earned. Nobody shall be wronged.
contracts and evidence
284. O believers ! When you contract a debt upon one another for a stated
it down, and let a writer write it down between you justly, and let not any
to write it down, as ALLAH has taught him. So let him write, and let the
and let him fear his Lord and not diminish anything of it. And if the debtor be
a fool, or
weak, or unable to dictate himself, then let his guardian dictate justly. And
call in to
witness two witnesses, men ; or if the two be not men, then one man and two
such witnesses as you approve of, so that if one of the two women errs the other
remind her ; and let the witnesses not refuse, whenever they are summoned.
not averse to write it down, whether it be small or great, with its term ; that
equitable in ALLAH's sight, more upright for testimony, and likelier that you
will not be
in doubt. Unless it is merchandise present before your eyes, that you give and
take among yourselves from hand to hand, then there shall be no fault in you if you do not write it down.
witnesses when you barter one with another. And let no harm be done to either
witness, and if you do it, then it will be a transgression in you.
teaches you, and ALLAH knows all things.
285. And if you are on a journey, and you do not find a writer, then a pledge
But if one of you trusts another, let him who is trusted deliver his trust,
and let him fear ALLAH, his Lord. And do not conceal the testimony. He who conceals it has a
ALLAH has knowledge of the things you do.
no division between the messengers
286. To ALLAH belongs all that is in the heavens and on the earth. Whether
what is in your hearts or hide it, ALLAH shall make reckoning with you for
forgives whom He pleases and chastises whom He pleases. ALLAH is powerful over
287. The messenger believes in what was sent down to him from his Lord. The
believers believe in ALLAH, His angels, in His books and His messengers : We
no division between any one of His messengers. They say : 'We hear and obey, our
Lord ! Grant us forgiveness. To You is the homecoming.'
288. ALLAH charges no soul save to its capacity. Standing to its account is
has earned and against it what it has merited. Lord, do not punish us for
forgot or did by mistake. Lord, do not charge us with the load You did lay
upon those before us. Lord, do not charge us beyond what we have the strength to bear.
out our sins, forgive us, and have mercy upon us. You are our Protector. Grant us
over the people of the unbelievers !